Thursday, March 29, 2012

Message of Hattie


When we leave this life, no one remembers what clothes we wore, how much money we spent, or how popular or famous we were. What they do remember is how we treated them.

During one of the last conversations I had with my grandma, she told me to, “Tell it like it is.” This was common motto of Mrs. Virginia Jones, in that, she never hesitated to tell you how she felt.  She was authentic. She was real.  She was beautifully refreshing in a world where pure honesty is sometimes so very rare.

I loved the relationship that my grandmother and I shared. It was one in which I never felt I needed to be anyone other than myself.  Although many of the things I discovered in my life’s journey did not agree with her core beliefs, she never ceased to show or tell me how much she loved me whenever I visited—whenever I called.

She was an amazing, intelligent, and beautiful woman, my grandmother. The more of myself I became, the more she seemed to love me. That’s the message I received from her. To be your authentic self. 



Mrs. Hattie Virginia Jones 1939-2012

3 comments:

  1. I love this post J L Glenn and I agree 100%!
    KoCO Jellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandmother was a smart woman and I love her portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelly:) You are such a sweetheart to say so.

    ReplyDelete